I am a business owner myself. I understand that the bottom line matters, I understand that the point of being in business is to make a profit. However, I also believe that greed is one of the most destructive traits in human beings. There is no logical explanation you can give for raising the price of a drug by over 400%, a drug that costs literally a dollar per dose.
via EpiPen: An Open Letter to Mylan’s CEO, Heather Bresch - Smashley Ashley Utterly chilling. This is the true danger of a Capitalist society. I’m thankful we live in a country where the National Health Service exists. There are two competitors to the EpiPen here in the UK - Jext and Emerade - and all three appear to be available on the NHS with a prescription cost of between £23.99 ($30) and £26.94 ($35) for a single 150mg dosage (source National Institute for Health and Care Excellence)
- BBC News: Drug Company Stung by Criticism of ‘Outrageous’ EpiPen Price Rises
- Guardian: ‘Exorbitantly expensive’ EpiPen prompts letter from 20 US senators
- Tampa Bay Times: As EpiPen prices rise, families feel the sting of crony capitalism
- Mylan CEO’s Pay Rose Over 600 Percent as EpiPen Price Rose 400 Percent
- WebMD: The True Cost of EpiPen Coupons